Sunday, February 17, 2013

"The Next Big Thing"


1. What is the working title of your story?

Well since I have the proof of the book and it's set to be released at the end of February, the title is more concrete than a "working" title, but it is called "The Corridor."

2. Where did the idea come from for the story?


It began as a complete challenge for myself, to write a book in a year using the most outrageous plot points I could think of: Aliens and zombies. Well, it took more than a year, but it shaped up into much more than a trivial challenge and I'm most excited about it.

3. What Genre Does Your Story Fall Under?
Is "zombie" its own genre nowadays? Well, I designated it as horror for the record, though it has some supernatural and sci-fi elements.

4. What Actors Would You Choose to Play Your Characters in a Movie Rendition?

I'm going to politely skip this one. When I find people on the street that look like the people in my head I will herd them together and pay them in Subway sandwiches to be in my indie film. Til then…

5. What is the One-Sentence Synopsis of Your Work?


A truck driver, a conspiracy theorist, a linguist, and a Mormon missionary must make their way home through the zombie apocalypse along the lonely I-35 corridor.

6. How Long Did It Take You to Write the First Draft of Your Manuscript?

The whole process took about 2 years, so I will say a year to write a year to edit? Yes, that.

7. What Other Stories Would You Compare This Story to Within Your Genre?

Ohhh, I don't know. I'll be egotistical and compare myself to Stephen King. Some of the more off-the-wall stories in "Night Shift" have similar essence as to what I was going for.

8. Who or what inspired you to write this story?


Well, I was starting with zombies (and aliens) and I was sitting in a truck stop in Ohio while my husband was an over-the-road truck driver and I went with him. He went to sleep and I stayed up with my computer. I wrote the first line, "The shooting started at midnight." Then began the action at the truck stop. Everything else followed.
9. What Else About Your Story Might Pique the Reader's Interest?

There are goats and a kitten. As characters. They don't talk or anything, but I had fun bringing in some four-legged perspectives to the apocalypse.


Tag 5 other authors:
Well, here's where I need some help. If you are an author or have a blog, drop me a line! matildaloveshack@hotmail.com I need to get in touch with more authors and read more blogs. And I'd love to do author interviews to post here. Let me know! But two indies I do know and can link to: Kris Miller & Laurie Hartman.


No comments:

Post a Comment