Sunday, December 23, 2012

Everyone loves quotes

This is not a real post because I woke up with a migraine (amazingly enough the only one I've had for months, which I'm extremely thankful for) and the post I had prepared somehow disappeared. I think I know why, but that doesn't make it reappear, unfortunately. I didn't think I would be able to post today because taking head meds and wallowing under covers only made me feel nauseous, but for some reason, putting on my headphones and thrashing around like an idiot in my own invisible mosh pit with the lights out while I ate a number of Fruit Rollups in between songs made me feel better. But I'm going to ride that adrenaline through some editing instead of a blog post. Since I have an odd habit of obsessively collecting quotes, my plan B blog posts will always be quotes. So let's get to it.

“if you expect to succeed as a writer, rudeness should be the second-to-least of your concerns. The least of all should be polite society and what it expects. If you intend to write as truthfully as you can, your days as a member of polite society are numbered, anyway.”
― Stephen King, On Writing

“The man of knowledge must be able not only to love his enemies but also to hate his friends.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
― Stephen Hawking

“The meeting of two personalities is like the contact of two chemical substances: if there is any reaction, both are transformed.”
― C.G. Jung

“Properly, we should read for power. Man reading should be man intensely alive. The book should be a ball of light in one's hand.”
― Ezra Pound

“The hardest thing of all is to find a black cat in a dark room, especially if there is no cat.”
― Confucius

“Her reputation for reading a great deal hung about her like the cloudy envelope of a goddess in an epic.”
― Henry James, The Portrait of a Lady

“Sorrow is knowledge, those that know the most must mourn the deepest, the tree of knowledge is not the tree of life. ”
― George Gordon Byron

“Conquer anger by love, evil by good; conquer the miser with liberality, and the liar with truth.”
― Siddhārtha Gautama

“Do not think of knocking out another person's brains because he differs in opinion from you. It would be as rational to knock yourself on the head because you differ from yourself ten years ago.”
― Horace Mann

“The truly faithless one is the one who makes love to only a fraction of you. And denies the rest.”
― Anaïs Nin

No comments:

Post a Comment